Sorry, this job has expired!
Job Title: Care Assistant
Job type: Full time – Multiple Roles available
The Royal Hospital Chelsea is a historic institution providing sheltered accommodation (Long Wards) and full nursing care where necessary (the Margaret Thatcher Infirmary) for some 300 retired soldiers, known as In-Pensioners. It ensures Army veterans are provided with the support and comradeship they need in recognition of their service to the Nation and safeguards their historic home for the veterans of tomorrow.
To provide the highest standard of personal care and assistance to the Pensioners, always promoting their dignity and individuality, maintain a safe, and secure environment for Pensioners, staff, and visitors.
- Work under the supervision of a senior care assistant
- Ensure the highest possible levels of care are maintained by supporting/assisting Pensioners when required, with all aspects of daily living.
- Provide support and attention when needed, ensuring Pensioners retain their comfort, dignity and pride in their status as Chelsea Pensioners.
- Act as a support for nominated Pensioners in line with the Infirmary policies and procedures.
- Play a key role in the serving of meals and helping frail Pensioners unable to feed themselves. Observe the principles of safety in food handling. Support all Pensioners in maintaining good hydration and monitor food and fluid intake assisting where necessary those Pensioners unable to do so for themselves.
- Maintain safety by paying particular attention to assisting Pensioners who have limited mobility, or physical difficulties making the best use of aids provided.
- Assist in the delivery of care for Pensioners who are dying or who have a progressive illness. Assist with last offices.
- Complete written daily records in the Pensioners care plan as instructed and in line with the Royal Hospital’s policies and procedures.
- Assist in the framework of social activities by interacting with Pensioners and helping them continue with hobbies and activities in the Infirmary. Liaise with and support the Activities Team in the activities programme.
- Answer Nurse Call system promptly, giving assistance as required. Answer telephone appropriately. Respond accordingly and pass on messages promptly.
- Report on the well-being of Pensioners to senior members of staff on duty.
- Carry out regular checks on Pensioners over the 24 hour period.
- Make Visitors feel welcome. Provide refreshments/assistance as and when required.
- Make and change beds, ensuring that rooms are clean and tidy, and commodes are empty, in line with the Royal Hospital waste disposal procedures. Ensure the Royal Hospital resources are used appropriately.
- Clean and maintain equipment used by Pensioners / Relatives e.g. wheelchairs, hearing aids, spectacles etc. Ensure the ward is kept clean and tidy, in line with the Royal Hospital
- Escort Pensioners travelling to and from the Infirmary e.g. on social outings, hospital visits as required.
- Practice maximum integrity in all dealings with the Pensioners personal and financial affairs and avoid abuse of the privileged relationship that exists with the Pensioners.
- Work the full spectrum of shift patterns as directed by the RHC contract of employment
- Genuine interest in working with, the elderly.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- Basic computer and email skills
- Good literacy and numeracy skills with an ability to complete accurate care documentation to the expected standard
- Ability to work well under pressure and prioritise, when required
- Ability to develop and promote positive working relationships with individual In Pensioners and their families, as appropriate.
- Knowledge of needs and rights of older people and an understanding of good care principles and the CQC fundamental standards
- If new to caring the post holder must undertake the Care Certificate in the first year of employment. Must undertake all mandated training.
Please click on the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of: Support Worker, Care Worker, Care Assistant, Domiciliary Care Assistant, Senior Care Assistant, Team Leader, Care Work Assistant, Resident Care Assistant, Resident Care Worker, Elderly Care Worker, Elderly Care Assistant, Elderly Support Worker, Elderly Care, Support Assistant, Enabler, Healthcare Assistant will also be considered for this role.