Catering Assistant / Food Preparation Assistant
Up to £9718 per annum
Job Title: Catering Assistant
Based: Olton, Solihull, B27 6PF
Salary: £9,718 pa based on 21hrs per week
Job Type: Permanent, Part Time (21 hours per week)
Closing Date: Wednesday 22nd July 2020
The Trust is a dynamic charity which has a passion to deliver excellent care and support and make a real difference to people’s lives. They do this by providing safe, secure, affordable and well maintained housing, residential care, extra care housing and floating support.
They’re looking for part-time experienced Catering Assistants to join the newly formed Catering Services Department, who will be working in conjunction with the Cook Supervisors and Catering Services Manager to provide nutritious home cooked meals, afternoon tea/suppers, snacks/sandwiches and cakes.
They have a well-equipped commercial catering kitchen, cooking for around 70 people daily and offer residents a high standard of home cooked food, utilising fresh produce whenever possible.
You’ll make sure all kitchen equipment and areas are properly cleaned. As part of the hard-working team, you’ll also help prepare tasty, nutritious meals that residents and guests will enjoy.
For example, you might take the pressure off the cooks by cooking breakfast in the mornings. At main mealtimes, you’ll add those much-loved finishing touches like custard or gravy. You’ll be responsible for safe, hygienic food storage and for making sure kitchen equipment and cleaning materials are kept in their correct places. In return, they’ll give you lots of support, training and opportunities to progress in your career.
- Assist the Cooks with the preparation and cooking of meals
- The service of food, preparation of vegetables, fruit, salads, sandwiches, toast, beverages and other food items
- Cooking and preparation of food items for servery.
- Plating and finishing of food, preparing food trolleys and transporting meals
- Maintaining high standards of hygiene and cleanliness at all times.
- Talking with residents, laying tables and being out in the restaurant area – being the connection with the Care environment
- Cleaning of the kitchen and all equipment, its surrounds and equipment including clearing, cleaning, washing up within the kitchen, also ‘in depth’ cleaning
- Assist in the receipt, checking and storage of deliveries and stock rotation.
- Ensure food hygiene and health and safety regulations are adhered to at all times.
- Working in the catering stores area, rotating fridges and other stock rotation work as required
- To ensure safe, hygienic food storage and ensure that kitchen equipment and cleaning materials are kept in their correct places.
- An enhanced DBS check will be taken up for the successful candidate.
- Experience of working in a busy commercial kitchen
- Good knowledge of food hygiene
- Awareness of health and safety rules in a kitchen
- Good communication skills
- A caring person who understands how important mealtimes are to older vulnerable people and who can engage with and communicate with a diverse range of people
- Able to work independently and within a team
- Self-motivated and flexible
- Good organisational skills
- Able to work under pressure and prioritise tasks
- Ability to work flexibly over a seven day week according to a staff rota
- A positive can-do attitude.
- Shares the Trusts values
What they offer:
The Trust continues to reward staff with competitive pay rates and a number of employee benefits including:
- Starting on 31 days holiday inclusive of Bank Holidays (increases with service)
- An annual ‘wellbeing’ day for all staff
- Company sick pay
- Pension scheme
- Employee Assistance programme
- Long service awards
- Ongoing career development training
The Trust is proud to be an equal opportunity employer who celebrates diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for these roles please click APPLY button and information will be sent to your inbox
Please note should sufficient applications be received they reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time and recruit at any stage. They always encourage all interested applicants to apply at their earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.
IMPORTANT: Please read through this information carefully as this must be completed to submit your application fully
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Food Services Assistant, Catering Assistant, Caterer, Kitchen Assistant, Serving Assistant, Café Staff, Host, Hostess, Server, Waiter, Waitress, Kitchen Porter, Pot Wash, Kitchen Hand will also be considered for this role