Sorry, this job has expired!
Controls Manager / Software Design Manager – Plasma Physics
Job Title: Controls Manager
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon (OX14)
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The company was originally established in 2009 to design and develop small spherical tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications. Since then they’ve unlocked a new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology will revolutionise the world’s energy production – it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e.g. with no long term nuclear waste or carbon emissions).
Their current aim is to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. The company’s innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click and Reuters news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum on 2016. This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team and to tackle the challenge of a lifetime.
This role is responsible for all Tokamak Energy in-house control software, development processes and tools and ensuring delivery of control software to quality, time and budget. As a team leader for the Controls group, the role also encompasses line management responsibilities, as well as managing consultants and collaborators.
- Tokamak control system architecture and upgrade definition
- Process definition and implementation for control strategy requirements capture, control system modelling, control software definition and development, validation and integration in line with quality and regulatory requirements
- Line manager for Controls group and managing control system related consultant work
- Delivery of control software to meet the requirements of the program plans
- Setting and managing budgets for Controls group
- Plan future staffing levels for Controls group to meet the future business requirements
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities which will require successful pre-employment health screening through their Occupational Health Service before the successful candidate will be allowed to start work:
- Travel outside of Europe or North America on company business [possibly]
- Knowledge and experience of software development processes in line with quality and regulatory requirements
- Experience of in-house software delivery and technical approval
- Experience in software project management processes e.g. Agile
- Programming language skills in one or more of the following: Linux, MATLAB, Python, MDSplus, Bash, Fortran
- Effective communication (both oral and written), internally and externally
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Well-structured planning and resourcing for budget setting and management
- Teaching, supporting and leading others (incl. line management)
- Experience in control theory and/or plasma control
- Programming language experience such as C/C++, Simulink
- Experience in tokamak plasma physics, and operating tokamaks
- Requirements capture, DOORS
- Model based design, Matlab, Simulink
- HiL testing, dSPACE
- 25 Days Holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after one years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months’ service
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Plasma Physics, Control Systems Engineer, Multi-Skilled Systems Engineer, Test Engineer, Systems Infrastructure Engineer, Systems Test Engineer, Systems Architect, Engineer, Systems Tester, Systems Engineer, Software Engineer, Software Developer, Systems Developer, Software Tester, Programmer, Programming Engineer, Software Programmer, Systems Programmer, Control System Developer will also be considered