Diagnostics Team Leader
Job Title: Diagnostics Team Leader
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire, UK
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The company was originally established in 2009 to design and develop small spherical tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications. Since then they’ve unlocked a new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology will revolutionise the world’s energy production – it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e.g. with no long term nuclear waste or carbon emissions).
Their current aim is to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. The company’s innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click and Reuters news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum on 2016. This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team and to tackle the challenge of a lifetime.
Purpose of the Role:
The Company is aiming to accelerate the commercialisation of fusion by developing power plants based on high field spherical tokamaks. They are looking for an experienced plasma diagnostician to lead the diagnostics team and oversee the development and delivery of broad range of diagnostic systems. The Diagnostics Team Leader will play an important role in achieving the company’s goals by delivering measurements that enable rapid scientific and technical development.
- Responsible for the strategic planning and delivery of the diagnostic systems that support the company’s scientific goals and business plan milestones
- Overseeing the design, procurement, installation, commissioning and maintenance of diagnostic systems
- Managing and growing a team of diagnosticians responsible for individual diagnostics
- Maintaining the quality documentation, interface documentation and hardware calibration and modification records
- Delivering plasma parameter measurements required to meet company’s scientific objectives
- Ensuring compliance with the company’s Health & Safety and Quality Assurance policies and procedures
- Developing novel diagnostic techniques to meet specific challenges of compact fusion
- Interfacing with existing internal and external collaborators and establishing new external collaborations
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the health & safety requirements relevant to the role
- Ability to effectively lead a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Track record of delivering complex technical projects to meet budget, time and quality requirements
- PhD in plasma physics, physics or a closely related field
- Experience working with plasma diagnostics and knowledge/experience with at least 3 fusion plasma diagnostics
- Experience in leadership and management working in a fusion environment
- Excellent communication, influencing and collaboration skills
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Experience with experimental data analysis and research
- Broad technical knowledge of tokamak diagnostics
- Experience of technical team leadership
- Experience in design and development of experimental plasma diagnostics
- Experience in analysis of plasma diagnostics data
- Experience in fusion related technologies, such as ultra-high vacuum (UHV)
- Experience in electronics design
- Project management experience
- Budget responsibility experience
- Project management qualifications
- 25 Days Holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after one years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months’ service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from them within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, they may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role.
Candidates with experience of: Diagnostic Team Manager, Senior Plasma Diagnostician, Plasma Scientist, Spectroscopy Technician, Plasma Diagnostician, Plasma Monitoring Technician, Physics Graduate, Nuclear Physicist, Spectroscopy Engineer, Senior Plasma Monitoring Engineer, Spectroscopy Analyst may also be considered for the role.