Sorry, this job has expired!
Electrical Engineer / Electrical Design & Installation Engineer
Job Title: Electrical Engineer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon (OX14)
The Company aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors.
The company was originally established in 2009 to design and develop small Spherical Tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications. Since then, the strategy has evolved to prioritise building a pilot plant to exceed fusion energy breakeven.
The candidate will be part of the Electrical Engineering team. The team is responsible for the design, installation and commissioning of a large number of pulsed power supplies as well as installation and commissioning of the controls, diagnostics and safety systems for the ST40 programme.
Duties will include:
- High power busbar installation including temperature monitoring systems.
- Earthing layout for stared system capable of handling high power impulse currents.
- Installation and commissioning of high voltage power supplies and high current power supplies.
- Commission and installation of PLC and HMI for equipment interlocks and LabVIEW for power supply control and remote user interface communications.
- Writing of risk assessments and installation method statements for proposed installations
Contacts and Communication:
- Liaising with other engineers responsible for cooling water systems, vacuum and physics parameters.
- Liaising with various manufacturing companies.
- Internally the post holder will communicate with the Electrical Engineering Group manager, other mechanical and electrical engineers working within the Company.
- Liaise with manufacturers and component suppliers.
Personal Skills and Attributes:
- 3D or 2D CAD experience. E.g. AutoCAD, SolidEdge or other.
- Electrical power engineering.
- Good fault finding skills, using oscilloscopes and other test equipment.
- Fully conversant with engineering drawings and circuit diagrams.
- Knowledge, understanding and application of BS7671 and Electricity Safety.
- Usage of Electrical circuit simulators for electrical simulation. E.g. PLECS or PSPICE or other.
- Power electronics experience, including simulation and design, and hands-on experience. Using SCRs, IGBTs, Supercapacitors and other power components.
- High power electrical experience, building power busbars, coil feedthrough and electrical jointing.
- Earthing system experience.
- PCB Creation, using OrCad, EagleCad or other.
- Experience in high voltage and high current pulsed power supplies and topologies.
- Experience in PLC and communication interfacing.
- Experience of using temperature monitoring (PT100, PT1000, Thermocouple) systems.
- The post will involve occasional travel within the UK and overseas.
- Previous experience within a scientific facility or similar.
- Degree in Electrical Electronic Engineering
- Experience of working on pulsed power supplies
- At least 2 years’ relevant experience at an appropriate level.
- Health & safety IOSH
- 25 Days Holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension scheme: Company contribution of 5% of salary after 3 months’ service
- Eligible for company share option scheme after one years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months’ service
Previous applicants need not apply.
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Electrician, Electrical Engineer, Multi Skilled Electrical Technician, Electrical Maintenance Engineer, Electrical Technician, Installation Engineer, Testing Engineer, Power Supply Engineer, Installation & Design Engineer, may also be considered for this role.