Sorry, this job has expired!
General Maintenance Assistant / Handyman / Handywoman
Up to £25337 per annum
Job Title: General Maintenance Assistant
Location: Kingston upon Thames
Salary: £25,337 per annum gross
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
This post is part of the Maintenance Team of The Company who that provides maintenance services, both planned and reactive, for the properties belonging to or occupied by the University.
You will carry out necessary maintenance tasks to ensure the safe and continuous operation of system, plant and equipment and fabric within the University’s estate. To undertake specific diagnostic, maintenance and repair tasks across a wide range of interconnected plant and equipment and building fabric.
You will be working to established procedures, good practice, organisational and broad occupation policies. Often working to measured standards and procedures which may require additional specific training.
A key element of the post is generic working. You may be working towards a recognised trade (e.g. electrical, mechanical, plumbing, H&V or building related) this may be by appropriate qualification, apprenticeship or in some circumstances experience. However he / she will be asked to work outside of this trade.
- Carry out routine building, engineering work unsupervised and within their capabilities as directed by the Supervisor or Maintenance Manager
- Work alongside qualified Trades persons across the full range of their duties and demonstrate their ability to work in a multi-task environment using a flexible approach to perform a wide range of semi-skilled tasks
- The cleaning of plant and equipment, workshops, stores and plant rooms
- Carry out planned preventative (PPM) work including checking, testing and information gathering
- Use and be competent in the use of all relevant hand and power tools, measuring instruments and equipment within safety guidelines as necessary for the completion of works
- To have an understanding of the skills of other trades and be able to perform a wide range of tasks of those trades
- Be prepared to work in hazardous areas, confined spaces and on contaminated equipment using appropriate personal protective equipment and taking all safety measures to prevent danger, avoid injury and prevent damage to equipment in accordance with their policy and safe working procedures
- Carry out own daily individual administration of work, by the timely completion of Estate Management System closing responsive maintenance jobs or noting follow on works required
- Be able to utilise relevant software systems including the use of PDAs, the QUEMIS maintenance system, the BMS, work permit system and the ordering system
- Participate in the emergency ‘on call’ service if required
- To assist with emergency work as and when requested, including out of normal working hours
- This role requires the use of equipment such as ladders and scaffolding
- Carry out driving duties, as requested to collect or deliver plant and equipment to supplier or manufacturers agents
- Full Driving licence
- Experience as a semi-skilled generic tradesperson
- Experience of working within a customer-focused repairs and maintenance service
- General understanding of the maintenance of buildings and engineering services
- Planned preventive and responsive maintenance knowledge
- Good carpentry, plumbing and electrical skills
- Skills in decorating for simple refurbishment tasks
- Good computer skills
- Able to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Experience of working with a range of portable tools, small plant, ladders and equipment to enable duties of the job to be carried out
- Good communication – written and oral
- Ability to work effectively alongside qualified Trades team
- Ability to use BMS system to download work orders and record detailed and accurate repairs information relating to repair inspections or completed repair jobs
- Basic knowledge of permit to work system
- Able to use mobile electronic equipment (handhelds)
- NVQ level 2 qualification in engineering or building maintenance
- City & Guilds Certificate in a building trade discipline
- Working towards full Trades qualification
- IOSH Knowledge and Skills
You will be required to work a rota and may be asked to work between the hours of
- Monday – Thursday 7:00 to 19:00
- Friday 7:00 to 18:30
Please click on the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of; Handyman, Plumber, Painter, Decorator, Building Maintenance, Builder, General Builder, Installations, Pipe Repairs, Kitchen Maintenance, Bathroom Maintenance, Kitchen Repairs, Bathroom Repairs, Boiler Services, Electrical Services, Builder, Property Maintenance may also be considered for this role.