Maintenance Assistant / Facilities Assistant / Caretaker
£16847 - £19559 per annum
Job Title: Maintenance Assistant
Location: West Sussex
Salary: £16,847 – £19,559 per annum (depending on experience)
Job type: Full Time, Fixed Term Contract (end date 21/12/2018) – Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm
Closing Date: Monday 4th March 2019
The School is a delightful independent standalone prep school of 430 boys and girls aged 2 ½ to 13 set in 260 acres of beautiful Sussex countryside. The tremendous grounds include a Forest School and a School Farm. The school has a proud record of feeding many of the top day and boarding schools in the South East, with a large proportion of leaving students achieving scholarships and awards.
They are now seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and professional Maintenance Assistant.
Main Purpose of role:
To maintain the educational facilities of the school in a good general state of repair. Ensuring that grounds and premises are clean, safe and welcoming. This includes a wide range of duties connected with the fabric and grounds of the school.
- Minor repairs that can be safely completed unaided
- Servicing and monitoring external lets
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of all washroom facilities used by any lettings
- Empty recycling bins and litter bins after the lettings
- Take deliveries of post, stores, materials and other goods as required
- Delivery of goods, materials, stock etc., to the respective areas of the school once the goods (delivery notes) have been checked and asked to do so
- Setting up rooms for meetings, chapels, assemblies, events as required
- Clearing refreshments from events
- Operation of the pass through dishwasher after evening events
- Maintain a regular check and control of litter around the interior of the school
- Carry their minor works in order to improve the site as required by the Maintenance Supervisor
- Redecoration of any area, agreed as reasonable on instruction (ie classroom, stores etc.)
- Monitor and maintain the correct water balance of the school swimming pool
- Monitor the performance of various MEE equipment and reporting any concerns of mechanical defects to the Head of Maintenance promptly
- Regular collection and removal of recycling materials to the correct storage receptacles
- Maintain cleanliness and general tidiness of all external hard areas to a high standard
- Inspect all outside areas for dangerous materials and make safe, including emergency cleaning of spillages from accident, sickness, vandalism and fire
- Monitor the performance of the electronic locks reporting any malfunction of doors or physical interference with the security measures in place to the Estate Manager
- Challenge any unknown persons seen on site
- Monitor visitors/contractors working on site
- Secure buildings at the end of the day ensuring windows and doors are shut, lights turned off and all external doors locked
- Assist to manage traffic flow and parking during peak periods, including school events
- To ensure sound Health and Safety practices are being adhered to
- In the event of an alarm activation, monitor the panel and, where safe to do so, verify the cause of the activation
The ideal candidate will have/ be:
- Level 2 Maths and English
- Previous experience of shift working
- Health and Safety at work and manual handling
- Ability to use computer systems (training will be provided)
- Good interpersonal and communication and customer service skills
- Professional manner and approach
- Sound organisational, prioritising and time management skills
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Must be physically fit and be able to work outside in all weather
- Excellent attendance and punctuality
- Positive and enthusiastic
- Integrity, tact and diplomacy
- Flexible, confident and polite attitude
- Commitment to the values and ethos of the School
- Willingness to undertake training
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all of their staff to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to undertake an enhanced disclosure via the DBS and to register with the update service.
Please click on the APPLY button and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the link to our Client’s careers page.
NOTE: You will only be considered for this role if the application form is completed.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of Electrical Engineer, Facilities Management, Maintenance Engineer, Maintenance Technician, Qualified Electrician, Maintenance Coordinator, Electrician, Maintenance Supervisor and Estates Management may also be considered for this role.