Sorry, this job has expired!
Mechanical Engineer / Project Design Engineer / Technician
Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The Company has unlocked a new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology will revolutionise the world’s energy production – it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e.g. with no long term nuclear waste or carbon emissions). They aim to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors.
The company’s innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click and Reuters news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum on 2016. This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team and to tackle the challenge of a lifetime.
The candidate will be part of a small design team and will design structures typically involved in ultra-high vacuum vessels, magnet coil design and structural support systems. The role requires a self-sufficient engineer who can design from first principles where required. There is a requirement to use Ansys software to provide backing to mechanical design in high load structures. A good understanding of design for manufacture with a manufacturing background is preferred.
- Use of FEA ANSYS software
- Design of structural support systems
- Design of jigs and fixtures
- Magnet coil design
- Vacuum chamber design
- Low temperature feed through and chamber design
- Developing and writing assembly procedures
- Specifying material requirements
- Maintaining data base records of designs and calculations
- Liaising with the drawing office and other engineers
The successful Candidates will have:
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or able to demonstrate equivalent skills and experience
- Vacuum vessel design
- Structural design and analysis
- Experience of working in a design team
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Magnet design using copper and low temperature superconductors
- Project management experience
- 25 days holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of: Project Design Engineer, Project Engineer, Design Engineer, Mechanical Technician, Mechanical Maintenance Engineer, Maintenance Support, Engineering Project Manager, Mechanical Maintenance Technician, Mechanical Engineer, Maintenance Support Technician, Project Electrician, Maintenance Support Engineer, Project Technician, CAD Technician, 3D Solidworks, 3D CAD may also be considered for this role.