Up to £18263 per annum
Job Title: School Secretary
Salary: up to £18,263 (48 – 52 week contract) DOE
Job type: Permanent, Full time – 37.5hrs p/w
Based in Prestbury King’s is one of England’s great independent schools, with a history stretching back for more than five centuries and a reputation for delivering outstanding education. We welcome boys and girls aged 3 – 18 into our dynamic, stimulating and happy co-education learning environment.
School Secretaries play a pivotal role in ensuring the smooth running of King’s. They offer support to pupils and parents, often acting as the initial point of contact for a host of routine and administrative matters. Secretaries also support members of staff with organisational and administrative tasks, the precise delineation of which may change over time.
Secretaries may be expected to work across any of the school’s three Divisions, and may be required to fill in for colleagues as appropriate. As such, a high degree of flexibility will be required. The appointed candidate will need to be involved in all aspects of running an efficient office.
The post would suit an experienced and adaptable secretary with good attention to detail, organisational skills and strong communication skills.
Candidates should be able to give evidence of the above but also:
- The ability to build rapport with pupils, parents and staff;
- Experience of Microsoft packages; and
- An interest in and enthusiasm for the school and its pupils.
The key duties and responsibilities of School Secretaries are many and varied. They will include the responsibility:
- To undertake reception duties with respect to answering the phone, welcoming visitors and assisting with other administration;
- To monitor the computerised pupil registration process, remind staff of unauthorised absences;
- To assist with the organisation of key school events;
- To provide administrative support to the teaching staff in producing up-to-date pupil records, form lists, etc;
- To attend to any queries at the pupil counter and assist in the signing in and out of pupils
- To liaise between parents, staff and other agencies by telephone or in person
- To process incoming and outgoing post and mailings
- To assist with basic first aid (e.g. provide plasters) and escalate issues to the School Nurses
- To support open events, tours, examinations, welcome evenings, etc
- To assist with the ordering of stationery, control stock and supply same to staff
- To assist with reprographics as required
- To provide general office assistance and cover as required, as well as other duties as requested
The role is based in the Foundation’s Main Office, providing support for the Sixth Form Principal and Foundation-wide administration.
The appointed candidate will be expected to work as part of a team, but will also be able to work independently and show considerable initiative.
Core working times – Monday to Friday between the hours of 8.30 am and 5.00 pm with a one-hour unpaid lunch break (we may consider some flexibility in the core hours for the right candidate). In addition, the post holder will be required to work reasonable additional hours as necessary, as the demands of the job require, including some welcome evenings. Work in the evenings, with agreement from the principal, will attract an equivalent period of time off in lieu. School Secretaries are required to maintain a code of confidentiality commensurate with the role.
The successful post holder would be entitled to additional holidays pro rata’d on the contract type, on top of the four weeks contracted out time, mandatory four Christmas shutdown days and all Bank Holidays. A contributory pension scheme including life assurance is available.
Children of members of staff, subject to passing the entrance exam and the availability of places, may be educated at King’s with a substantial discount from the Junior Department to the Senior Divisions.
We are a non-smoking establishment and an equal opportunities employer. The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Candidates should note that all appointments are subject to a routine check with the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please click on the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of PA, Administrator, Office Support, Assistant, Business Support, Projects Administrator, Project Administrator, Admin, Administration, Support Administrator, Business Administrator, Office Assistant, Project Support, Executive Assistant, Senior Office Administrator, and Business Assistant may also be considered for this role.