Sorry, this job has expired!
Senior Technical Adviser – Plasma Physics
Up to £80000 per annum
Job Title: Senior Technical Adviser
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon (OX14)
Salary: £80,000 per annum
The world needs a clean and reliable source of base-load energy and that’s what this company is striving to achieve. Their route to fusion power is unique, taking established science and building on it by pioneering the use of spherical tokamaks in conjunction with high temperature superconductors (HTS).
Fusion – the energy source that powers the sun – is globally accepted as the best way to generate plentiful, safe, secure and clean energy. The tokamak is the most heavily researched and best understood of all the different paths to fusion.
It is now acknowledged that the spherical tokamak design offers the smallest and most cost-effective solution. This is their solution. Yet there are many complex engineering challenges that need to be overcome for demonstration and commercialisation of this technology. Their team of world-class fusion scientists and magnet engineers are tackling these challenges to develop efficient and affordable fusion power. This unique approach is centred on rapid innovation using the latest materials and technology – but building on decades of scientific research and experience. This strategy gives them – and the world – a faster way to fusion.
Once fusion electricity is achieved, this scalable technology could be rolled out across the world as a solution to one of humanity’s greatest challenges: clean and sustainable energy for all.
The role of Senior Technical Advisor provides technical direction to the business in particular specialist areas of spherical tokamak physics and operation and specifically in RF heating and current drive, including solenoid-free start up.
The role will:
- Advise the Physics Manager, Technology Development Director and Engineering and Programmes Director on the most efficient technical approach to achieve programme targets. Where appropriate, provide supporting data, analysis and/or references for recommendations on direction and decisions.
- As a senior member of the Physics group, provide technical direction to the ST40 and ST-F1 teams in the specification, design, implementation and operation of RF heating and current drive systems and the development of solenoid-free start up regimes. This includes the design, development and optimisation of antennae for application in ST40 and ST-F1.
- Support the ST40 plasma operations team in preparing and delivering experimental campaigns
- Represent the Company in the management of key collaborations on scientific R&D, particularly in reference to the design and implementation of RF heating and current drive systems for high field spherical tokamaks
- Build the knowledge base across the company as a whole in relation to plasma start-up, current drive and heating regimes
- Train the next generation of physicists in the fundamentals and application of plasma start-up, heating and current drive systems
- Contribute to Design Reviews
- Development and demonstration of innovative plasma start-up techniques for spherical tokamaks (e.g. using LHW, EC/EBW)
- Design, implementation and operation of RF systems including antennae
- Planning and delivery of physics campaigns for high field and spherical tokamaks, particularly for plasma performance improvement, plasma heating and solenoid-free start up
- Detailed knowledge of global tokamak research activities and a strong network in fusion research, particularly in the US and Asia.
- Strong communication skills across all levels and disciplines
- PhD in plasma physics or RF systems
- Track record of team development and teaching
- Effective decision making, problem solving, planning and organising
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back within 10 days of submitting your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, you may be contacted in the future to discuss other opportunities
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the role
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Plasma Physicist, RF Systems Engineer, Lower Hybrid Wave, RF Heating, Nuclear Physicist, PHD Graduate, LHW Plasma Coupling, Nuclear Scientist, Radiofrequency Physicist, EC/EBW heating system, RF Scientist may also be considered for this role
Advert Start Date: 23/10/2020 End Date: 23/11/2020