Student Services Officer – Student Wellbeing
Job Title: Student Services Officer – Student Wellbeing
Location: Hulme, Manchester
Job Type: Full time (37 hours per week – term time only), Permanent
Closing Date: Friday 4th December 2020
The College is located in Hulme a mile south of the centre of Manchester and very close to Manchester University and Manchester Metropolitan University, with excellent transport links. They have a strong tradition of delivering high quality courses, with the recent OFSTED Inspection praising the provision highly.
They are now seeking a Student Services Officer to support the work of the Safeguarding Officer and the wider Safeguarding Team with students who are vulnerable or have emerging wellbeing or welfare needs. You’ll be supporting the Safeguarding team with signposting, referral and interventions as well as providing a general administrative and well-being service for students.
- Working with students in need of wellbeing support who have been signposted to Student Services
- Link closely with the safeguarding team to ensure that students identified as requiring additional support are referred on accordingly
- To work supportively with students to help promote student wellbeing, on both an appointment and drop-in basis
- To support the work of the safeguarding team by conducting appropriate assessments and referrals with students including Early Help assessments and referrals to Housing or Mental Health teams. Support students with applications for Universal Credit. Referral to food banks including issuing of food bank vouchers. Contact with families and other agencies as required, gaining consent from the family to engage with services who may be best placed to support them
- To support vulnerable students including those who are Looked After, Living Independently and Young carers. Including working with the Finance Team to identify students eligible for bursary and free college meals
- Following the College safeguarding systems and procedures responding to safeguarding concerns that may be raised or disclosed and escalating through the Safeguarding Team
- Support the work of the safeguarding team in the arranging and booking of meetings and visitors. Supporting students where appropriate with visits from external agencies
- Work with the wider Student Services team providing advice and guidance to students or signposting to relevant others
- Maintaining a good understanding of safeguarding themes, attend training and Level 3 safeguarding training
- Undertake any other tasks commensurate with the grading of the post
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, or substantial relevant experience that demonstrates a high order of literacy, numeracy and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in working with standard office applications such as MS Word, Excel and Outlook
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- The ability to operate a computerised administrative system / database
- Recent frequent experience of using unit-e and competent at extracting data and running reports as necessary
- Ability to prioritise and multitask
- Ability to manage own workload
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent telephone manner
- The ability to recognise and appreciate the confidential nature of some work undertaken
- Excellent attention to detail
- Carries out routine liaison to pass on information promptly and accurately to all those who need to know.
- Ability to empathise with 16-19 year olds within a college situation
- High level of literacy/communication skills
- Evidence of commitment to Continuous Professional Development
Please click on the APPLY button and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the application form.
Candidates with the experience and relevant job titles of: Student Advisor, Careers Support, Learning Support, Support Assistant, Learning Support Worker, LSA, Learning Guidance Advisor, Student Advisor, LSW, Learning Support Assistant, Student Support, Learning Advisor, Wellbeing Officer, Learner Support, Guidance Advisor will be considered for this role.