Sorry, this job has expired!
Tokamak Scenario Developer
Job Title: Tokamak Scenario Developer
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire, UK
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The company was originally established in 2009 to design and develop small spherical tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications. Since then they’ve unlocked a new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology will revolutionise the world’s energy production – it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e.g. with no long term nuclear waste or carbon emissions).
Their current aim is to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. The company’s innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click and Reuters news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum on 2016. This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team and to tackle the challenge of a lifetime.
Are you passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power? If so, they are seeking talented and innovative individuals to join their physics team and help make limitless fusion energy a reality.
Their mission is to transform the way the world generates power by creating a clean, safe and sustainable source of energy for current and future generations. Their innovative approach to fusion is based on two emerging technologies: spherical tokamaks (STs) and high-field magnets made from high temperature superconductors (HTS).
Combining these two technologies enables efficient fusion power production in devices much smaller than previously thought possible. To demonstrate this revolutionary technology, they are currently operating the world’s first high field spherical tokamak, ST40; designing and building increasingly powerful high-field HTS magnets; and designing a large scale HTS tokamak, ST-F1, that will be the first device to demonstrate the viability of fusion power.
They are looking for a physicist to develop and optimise tokamak operating scenarios that take full advantage of the beneficial properties of high field spherical tokamaks.
- Modelling and optimising tokamak operating scenarios
- Developing fully non-inductive scenarios with high bootstrap fractions and electron cyclotron (EC) heating
- Exploring novel plasma start-up schemes
- Modelling for both ST40 and future devices
- Working closely with their collaborators to improve modelling capabilities
- Incorporating the latest results and understanding from relevant experiments
- PhD in plasma physics or closely related equivalent experience
- Experience working in a research environment or developing novel technologies
- Ability to work efficiently on own initiative
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Willingness to learn and adopt new techniques and technologies
- Ability to effectively communicate results to both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Organised approach to tackling complex problems
- Familiarity with tokamak/plasma modelling codes
- Experience of programming languages such as MatLab/Python/Unix/C++
- Experimental data analysis experience
- Publication history
- Willingness to develop new and existing collaborations
- 25 Days Holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after one years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months’ service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from them within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, they may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role.
Candidates with experience of: Plasma Physicist, Graduate, Nuclear Systems Developer, Modelling Engineer, Physics Graduate, PHD Graduate, Plasma Scenario Designer, Plasma Simulation Developer, Scheme Developer may also be considered for the role.