Catering Assistant / Food Preparation Assistant
Up to £9.11 per hour
Job Title: Catering Assistant
Salary: £11,136 pa for 23.5 hours per week (£9.11 per hour)
Job Type: Permanent, Part Time
Closing Date: Friday 24th December 2021
Sir Josiah Mason Trust (SJMT) is a family of charities & community of people supporting those most in need in the West Midlands. SJMT want everyone, regardless of age or circumstances, to feel secure, have opportunities and to thrive.
The services provided include:
- Safe, affordable and well-maintained alms-housing
- Residential and extra care
- Community and housing related support
- Services to advance the opportunities of children and young people in need
Everything they do is rooted in their 370 year history and driven by their vision for the future.
We are looking for a part-time experienced Catering Assistant to join our Catering Services Department, who will be working in conjunction with the Cook Supervisors and Catering Services Manager to provide nutritional home cooked meals, afternoon tea/suppers, snacks/sandwiches and cakes.
** Please note we require applicants to have had two Covid-19 vaccinations as this position is based in a residential care home.
We have a well-equipped commercial catering kitchen, cooking for around 70 people daily and offer residents a high standard of home cooked food, utilising fresh produce whenever possible.
You’ll make sure all kitchen equipment and areas are properly cleaned. As part of our hard-working team, you’ll also help prepare tasty, nutritious meals that our residents and guests will enjoy.
For example, you might take the pressure off the cooks by cooking breakfast in the mornings. At main mealtimes, you’ll add those much-loved finishing touches like custard or gravy. You’ll be responsible for safe, hygienic food storage and for making sure kitchen equipment and cleaning materials are kept in their correct places. In return, we’ll give you lots of support, training and opportunities to progress in your career.
- Assist the Cooks with the preparation and cooking of meals
- The service of food, preparation of vegetables, fruit, salads, sandwiches, toast, beverages and other food items
- Cooking and preparation of food items for servery.
- Plating and finishing of food, preparing food trolleys and transporting meals
- Maintaining high standards of hygiene and cleanliness at all times.
- Talking with residents, laying tables and being out in the restaurant area – being the connection with the Care environment
- Cleaning of the kitchen and all equipment, its surrounds and equipment including clearing, cleaning, washing up within the kitchen, also ‘in depth’ cleaning
- Assist in the receipt, checking and storage of deliveries and stock rotation.
- Ensure food hygiene and health and safety regulations are adhered to at all times.
- Working in the catering stores area, rotating fridges and other stock rotation work as required
- To ensure safe, hygienic food storage and ensure that kitchen equipment and cleaning materials are kept in their correct places.
- An enhanced DBS check will be taken up for the successful candidate.
- Experience of working in a busy commercial kitchen
- Good knowledge of food hygiene
- Awareness of health and safety rules in a kitchen
- Good communication skills
- A caring person who understands how important mealtimes are to older vulnerable people and who can engage with and communicate with a diverse range of people
- Able to work independently and within a team
- Self-motivated and flexible
- Good organisational skills
- Able to work under pressure and prioritise tasks
- Ability to work flexibly over a seven day week according to a staff rota
- A positive can-do attitude
- Shares the values of SJMT
What we offer:
We continue to reward our staff with competitive pay rates and a number of employee benefits including:
- Starting on 31 days holiday inclusive of Bank Holidays (increases with service)
- An annual ‘wellbeing’ day for all staff
- Company sick pay
- Funded DBS checks
- Free onsite parking
- Pension scheme
- Free uniform
- Life Insurance
- Wider Wallet staff discount scheme
- Employee Assistance programme – access to 24/7 confidential advice and counselling
- Long service awards
- Ongoing career development training and opportunities for progression
SJMT is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. It celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for these roles please click APPLY button and information will be sent to your inbox
IMPORTANT: Please read through this information carefully as this must be completed to submit your application fully
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Food Services Assistant, Catering Assistant, Caterer, Kitchen Assistant, Serving Assistant, Café Staff, Host, Hostess, Server, Waiter, Waitress, Kitchen Porter, Pot Wash, Kitchen Hand will also be considered for this role.